View Single Post
Old 24th May 2020, 09:42   #419  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelHruska View Post
Per request, here are clips of specific scenes from Sacrifice of Angels from a VOB of the DVD. Clip explanations below. Clips are cut to 10 seconds or less per Manono's advice, unless it made no sense to split the scene at that point. Contiguous versions of two longer scenes (FFE = First Fleet Engagement, SFE = Second Fleet Engagement) are available below. I tried to start each clip with a few frames of padding on each side.
Are there any samples of the original video amongst that lot, or is it all re-encoded?
I gather it's lossless but it's encoded as progressive rather than interlaced, I don't know if that makes a difference when it's lossless, in respect to the chroma being upsampled properly. Not to worry though...

I only gave two of them a spin. Pure telecine as far as I can see.
You probably should take Katie's advice and use a method that reconstructs the original progressive frames and then leaves them the hell alone. Or are you too far down the rabbit hole with the 59.94fps idea?

The only reason I went the VFR route is because someone linked to a sample of 29.97fps progressive CGI, and that's the way I'd deal with mixed content, but if it's all telecined except for the odd episode, you can handle those differently when you find them. I gave the CGI the QTGMC treatment, and the film section the MCDegrainSharp treatment, but that was after the frames were reconstructed. If you come across a problem in an episode, cross that bridge when it happens.

zapp7 seem to be happy with detelecining most of it.

I linked to a CFR sample of the opening CGI section earlier. If it's the biggest problem in most episodes, you'll probably get efficient at creating scripts that'll handle it correctly if you want it to be perfect (the latest encode looks good to me at 23.976fps), but the remainder of each episode might mostly require nothing other than field matching and decimation.

samples.zip

Edit: I forgot to resize the SFE-1 encode, it's just cropped.

Katie,
If the script you posted is any indication, you're fussing about combing while using the wrong field order for TFM again. At least for the sample you took the screenshots from.

Last edited by hello_hello; 24th May 2020 at 09:57.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote