View Single Post
Old 14th July 2016, 20:31   #224  |  Link
BadFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarinka View Post
HEVC isn't just a small slight improvement.
Actually, considering how old h264 is and the amount of extra cpu time HEVC needs in order to actually see those benefits, I can't say I'm overly impressed with the improvements. That said this will most likely hold just as true for AV1.

Quote:
And are we forgetting already that VP9 is basically just a copy of HEVC with some nerfs
Need something to back this up with.

Quote:
On2 still did it the usual way: take ideas from the MPEG standard, and obfuscate them a bit to not be directly exposed to patent lawyers.
Need something to back this up with.

Quote:
And currently, VP9 is the format that AV1 is being built on!
From what I've read, it's built on VP10, which was supposed to be the VP9 successor, and is now to become AV1.

Quote:
So I'd say we should get a bit more mature on the freetard/fanboy feelings toward MPEG.
Are you seriously pretending to be mature while using words like 'freetard' ? And then accusing others of being 'fanboys' while sounding like a MPEG LA advertising pamphlet...

Quote:
Not to mention when the best video coding technology to this day (x264) was based on their codec.
No argument that h264 is a great codec, but with the vast pool of patents at the MPEG LA disposal, and the hinderance they pose for alternate codecs to appear which in turn could have been better had they not have to work around what is often ridiculously broad patents, it's not surprising.

Quote:
Also, MPEG-LA royalties are sane and okay.
That's your opinion.
BadFrame is offline   Reply With Quote