View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2018, 05:33   #27497  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Unfortunately that doesn't work, because different fonts can be used and the offset would change.
Shouldn't make a difference, unless you used a difference point size. That is the whole idea behind a "point" size for a font.
Quote:
I don't think I agree that this is what the "user actually wants". I think most people would assume the offset is from the top/left of the screen to the top/left of the first character block.
I guess I'm not most people. As you can see from the image of the screen, the idea is to align the baseline of the "date" images with the baseline of the menu text. That can't be done working with the top of the character cell.

Depending on the program being used, say a word document program, text is normally placed inside of a text cell. In that case, the text line is fit against the upper-left corner. But, in programs like Illustrator and Photoshop, when text is place on the screen and NOT placed in a cell box, the text baseline is used as the reference. I have no clue as to what M$ provides for text manipulation capabilities. The font baseline is a known value.

So, in this case, I was thinking the text would be placed more free form, i.e., baseline.

Needless to say, I won't be doing these types of menus very often.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote