View Single Post
Old 28th November 2011, 09:26   #25  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Well, one simply has to accept that anamorphic DVD's can use the Generic or ITU PAR (or a mod-16 compliant approximation of it).
I don't recall ever stating they couldn't.

Quote:
My experience: The majority of those (older?) DVDs which have about 8 pixels borders left and right follow the ITU PAR. This is no proof however, as the picture could also have been scaled to accommodate overscan. Those DVD with an active picture width of 720 (no left and right borders) are likely to follow the generic PAR.
Well I won't argue about older DVDs, but I'd certainly agree regarding most newer DVDs, which is the point I was making originally. The PARs posted at the beginning of this thread are all well and good, but if the majority of DVDs don't actually use them.....

Quote:
What the playback device eventually does with it is a totally different story. For example, my standalone plays ITU DVDs via HDMI including the black borders left and right as 4:3 or 16:9, means the active picture is in fact 2.5% too narrow, wheras my old DVD player using the SCART interface to an analog TV plays these DVDs undistorted ...
I guess unless you tend to use your older player more often, it's probably a good thing most DVDs aren't ITU.
If newer equipment seems more likely to use generic 16:9 & 4:3 aspect ratios, and newer DVDs seem far more likely to have used them also, what's the motivation for studios/DVD manufacturers to suddenly do an about-face which makes returning to the official standards for DVDs likely?
Personally I think when it comes to understanding the "official" way to resize a DVD it's nice to know... but when it comes to instructing people how to "properly" resize a DVD or determine PARs etc, it's really probably time to let it go. Or at least explain both methods.... the one which is supposed to be used, and the one which is more likely to be used.

Last edited by hello_hello; 28th November 2011 at 09:30.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote