View Single Post
Old 4th January 2019, 11:15   #3  |  Link
excellentswordfight
Lost my old account :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw_4049 View Post
Anyone?
I think the reason why no one has responded here is because this is something that comes up alot, and there are plenty of threads here for you to look at to gather the information you are asking for. Apart from that, these forums arnt really that great for these types of generic questions, cause, the answer you will get it is: it depends... Which is also the correct answer.

What exactly is your question? What CRF value you should choose or if medium or slow is the best are stuff only you can answer, we dont know your compression ratio target or speed requirements. Just try different CRF-values until you find a compression ratio that you are comfortable with. It also very source dependent, very high quality 4k sources or grainy sources might break your bitrate budget when using say 18-19, and you might need to go towards CRF 20-22 (which has been the case for me when compressing stuff from DI-sources).

I find slow to be worth the speed trade off, its imo the the preset that offers the best compression without going in too deep in the diminishing return territory. But you need to decide (and probably test) if it worth the trade off for you.

x265 is already tuned for 4k by deafault, so it doesnt need much tweeking outside the presets. The only setting that has good generic properties outside that is imo no-sao (that setting alone or with deblock -1,-1 and no-strong-intra-smoothing could be looked at something as x264 tune film), but again, if you are compressing animation, you might not wanna use these settings anyway. So... It depends.

This is what I use as "base" settings for 2160p24 "film" material, I might then do some tweaking, but as most things, source dependant
Code:
--preset slow --profile main10 --level-idc 51 --crf 20 --keyint 240 --min-keyint 24 --rc-lookahead 48 --no-sao
Together with the relevant color information:

e.g.

SDR:
Code:
--colorprim bt709 --transfer bt709 --colormatrix bt709 --range limited
HDR10:
Code:
--hdr-opt --colorprim bt2020 --transfer smpte2084 --colormatrix bt2020nc --range limited --max-cll "1000,400" --master-display "G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(10000000,1)"

Last edited by excellentswordfight; 4th January 2019 at 11:48.
excellentswordfight is offline   Reply With Quote