View Single Post
Old 24th August 2017, 20:58   #49  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Just how necessary is 16-bit processing? Here are some comparison images (not using the latest version but the other one before)

Video: AOA - Like a Cat

- Original
- mClean(rn=12) # 8-bit
- ConvertBits(16).mClean(rn=12).ConvertBits(8, dither=0)
- KNLMeansCL(D=2, A=2, h=1.4, device_type="GPU")
- ConvertToYV24().KNLMeansCL(D=2, A=2, h=1.4, device_type="GPU", channels="YUV")

KNLMeansCL tends to give a plastic effect when applied on YUV planes. There is considerable difference between mClean 8 or 16 but it's subtle details.

ff3dfilter is simply applied on chroma plane and then merged back, it doesn't need to be convert to 16-bit. I did a test converting to 16-bit AFTER MDegrain2 and then converting back to 8-bit when merging luma and chroma. This will be considerably faster. Quality is good.

As for bit conversions, only convert to 16-bit and back if source is 8-bit

This modified version still crashes with Prefetch(8) saying "out of memory" on startup, so there's a bug that's not in MvTools2. I still can't use it as a prefilter with FRC.

Since your method works only on Luma and applies a simple FF3DFilter on chroma, it would be fair to compare with other filters with FF3DFilter on chroma.

KnlMeansCL with FF3DFilter. This one doesn't look very good.

With the changes converting to 16-bit only after MDegrain2, performance is good enough. Then there can be an option whether to dither back to 8-bit or stay in 16-bit. Since this runs at the beginning of the script, it makes sense to take a 8-bit input with 16-bit output.
Code:
FPS (min | max | average):      2.348 | 70862 | 9.560
Memory usage (phys | virt):     1264 | 1381 MiB
Thread count:                   34
CPU usage (average):            49%
Of the various denoiser I'm testing, I still like this one better, although it's not finished.

Last edited by MysteryX; 25th August 2017 at 01:12.
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote