View Single Post
Old 20th March 2018, 23:20   #49655  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
So, I should ignore what madVR OSD shows, display info shows, and NVidia control panel shows? I agree it supposed to be impossible. But.....

I don't select anything before playing anything. I just play it and the rest happens behind the scenes.

I see my attachment if I log out or click on the pending attachment itself. I tried uploading many different ways direct from an uploaded url and straight from my PC. Then cropped to 200KB. Still won't go real time. I'm not good at uploading attachments cuz I've seen others do it right away. Sorry.

I updated my sig for the info you wanted. I'd give more but it's limited to 200 characters. What other info that's not there now would you suggest?
What I meant was that you should select a standard mode at 60p, play a 4K60p video and select 8bits. Then the nVidia CP should remember this and switch to that mode automatically whenever you ask to play 4K60p. Once again, 10bits is NOT a valid choice at 4K60p, I don't even think the driver would allow you to select it. The only selectable/valid option should be 8bits when playing 4K60p content. Also make sure that your cables are up to the task as you'll get as close as can be to the 18Gb/s limit with 4K60p 4:4:4 8bits.

Nvidia CP you should ignore, it's greyed out in 4K60p if you are using a custom refresh mode. I have no idea if the above works with standard res. I'm only reporting what works for me.

MadVR you should ignore too. It tells you the way the video is encoded (10bits 4:20 for UHD bluray) or the way it dithers (10bits or 8bits), but it has no idea how you've set your GPU output. By the way you need to use profiles to select 8bit dithering for 4K60p if you use 10bits dithering for 30p and below content, otherwise the GPU is dithering behind MadVR's back which is not good.

Display info you should NOT necessarily ignore. If it tells you what it receives, that might be an indication, but the display might be set to a fixed bit depth in UHD Mode. My JVC does report RGB 12bits when I send 4K23 and RGB 8bits when I send 4K60p.

I have a HD Fury Vertex that tells me exactly what comes out of the HTPC before it goes into the display, so I know for a fact that I get RGB 12bits 4:4:4 in 4K23 and RGB 8bits 4:4:4 in 4K60p, which confirms the display info.

Whether the presence of the Vertex in the chain helps me get these results or not, I have no idea. I don't think it does, but it might because it overrides the display EDID and reports full capability. I don't have the time to mess up with my setup at the moment and test whether all works as well if I take it out.

I can confirm that all works as reported above with 390.24. No improvements that I can see, nothing broken either:

3D (FSE still needed), 12bits/8bits auto switch and custom refresh modes created with MadVR still work fine and survive a reboot, Asio4all compatibility and ability to switch bit depth in custom modes still broken.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 20th March 2018 at 23:43.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote