View Single Post
Old 24th May 2020, 15:39   #426  |  Link
JoelHruska

KB,

TVEAI is in pretty rough shape at the moment. The audio pass-through is so bad, you're better off assuming the audio will not work and just planning to do your own remuxing. It encodes in the most basic MP4 profile settings imaginable and there is zero control over output quality in any regard.

You can only do lossless upscaling if you output to PNG or TIFF and I've seen some people say that some content doesn't look as good when pulled apart into individual frames and then stitched back together, though I have not tested that myself. I don't know which content is supposedly affected or what the differences are.

Also, the storage requirements get pretty ugly. It's 4-5MB per frame per PNG and about 16MB per 16-bit TIFF, so you need between 342GB - 1.216TB per episode for upscaling output, and you'd want an SSD for certain over an HDD for rapid file writes (when upscaling) and faster reads (when reassembling). At these data sizes and rates, the gap would be material. I think 16-bit TIFFs may be overkill when upscaling DVD content.

Emissary, Way of the Warrior, and What You Leave Behind would require double this storage requirement if you wanted to do both episodes in a single gulp. So ~644GB - 2.4TB to store the output frames from the entire episode.

I actually liked the 1.1.0 version more in terms of output quality. There's a way to get the older versions if you were interested in comparing the outputs. They are meaningfully different.

Last edited by JoelHruska; 24th May 2020 at 16:07.
JoelHruska is offline   Reply With Quote