View Single Post
Old 7th January 2019, 16:22   #54143  |  Link
zapatista

Hi Madshi,

thank you for your great program, it really improves the video quality on my 1080p display compared to other pc video players, or when using a stand alone bluray player (assuming the source video file is of good quality)

Q1) is there a way i can set my display max nits in madvr ?

i am using madvr on my win 8.1 pc to play some 4k hevc h265 rec2020 video files, which i output over hdmi to my 1080 display (which is accepting 1080p 12 bit 4.4.4 RGB full) .
in madvr settings i am using DXVA2 for down-scaling wich gives me a gpu load of 72% and uses 90% of my 3gb vram (the other custom pixel shader settings like SSIM cause a significant rate of frames being dropped and i get micro stutters)

some of the 4k video files are HDR (which i know is not part of the SDR specs), but my 1080 tv display has a spec of 380 nits (compared to most older 1080 displays only going up to 150 nits usually)

i know that some of the higher end stand alone 4k bluray players (like the samsung or panasonic) allow you to select a max nits setting when outputting the 4k HDR video to 1080 (for ex on the samsung player i would have been able to set it to 350 or 400 nits iirc)

can i similarly set a max nits setting in madvr for my 1080p downconversion output ? (i remember discussion about this taking place in the madvr forum, but cant find the settings)

note: i am aware most HDR movies can range from 500 to 1000 nits (or even higher w dolby vision ?), but my display relatively low 350 nits ability would be nice to be able to use for higher luminance detail available from some of these HDR source files

Q2) is there a simple way i can save my preferred presets for different resolution video files that i might be playing ? (eg 720p, 1080p, 2160 4k files etc)
- for my pc hardware i can use higher quality settings for 720p and 1080p files, but for 4k files i can only just play them and have to dial several settings down

Q3) when playing 4k files (with my limited settings ) my GPU reports 72 or 75% GPU load, and 93 % vram used for ex, but my i7 cpu is only at 20 or 25% load.
- is there a way i can offload some of the video tasks more to the CPU and then be able to enhance other settings in madvr that are GPU load dependent ?
i have tried different "video decoder" selections in mpc-hc, but it doesnt seem to alter this (am using dxva2-copyback as this was suggested by you in an earlier setup guide iirc)

pc specs: win 8.1 (64 bit) w most recent video drivers and updates, i7 4770k, 32 gb ram, 1060 3gb GPU
using mpc-hc 6.3 with madvr latest version
zapatista is offline   Reply With Quote