View Single Post
Old 17th August 2011, 11:47   #5  |  Link
gwdkwd

Quote:
You can configure fraps to encode in RGB24 , then use x264 to encode to YUV 4:4:4 which should be almost lossless. However, Youtube will re-encode your video to YV12, 4:2:0 I'm not sure Flash and video cards support hardware decoding of YV 4:4:4 so probably all popular websites will convert to YV12 anyway... unless you host the video yourself it's probably not going to do you any good.

Have you tried using the plain old AVISource ? As the coded is Video For Windows, it should work...
Quote:
I'd bring it down into yv12 inside avisynth. Since it has to go to yv12 eventually, you might as well do it at a stage where you have control over the process.
Thanks for the info, that will help. Although specifically, I want to retrieve the yv12 data from the fraps video, so I can avoid the color shift as much as I can, when encoding with x264.

Quote:
If ColorMatrix is giving you an error, you're probably recording in lossless mode (which is true RGB24). Untick that box and you'll get YV12. Use Info() to see what the video is currently.
Info is telling me that the colorspace is in RGB32. I am certain that I'm not recording in lossless mode.

Quote:
Using the YV12 directly is a little problematic -- FRAPS uses custom YUV coefficients, so ColorMatrix won't be able to fix your colors to what Youtube expects (TV-range Rec.601 -- even for HD). Also, FRAPS YV12 is TV range, not full range.
So, is there any use to using the fraps yv12 data for youtube uploads, then?
gwdkwd is offline   Reply With Quote