View Single Post
Old 28th June 2013, 07:11   #37  |  Link
JEEB
もこたんインしたお!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathrone View Post
Heres a group with a free HEVC software decoder for windows:

I think these are the guys that kierank caught using libavcodec stuff without properly dealing with it even under the LGPL. I wouldn't give these guys too much publicity here.

Also, I really didn't want to put the same stuff in a yet another thread (we already have HEVC general and Available HEVC/H.265 test encoders threads, as well as some other random ones...), but there is a libavcodec HEVC decoder by smarter that is by now in a pretty good condition. It has been forked by OpenHEVC, and is also developed there (in a somewhat chaotic form).

OpenHEVC is then used by GPAC for their Osmo4 "mp4" player. GPAC happens to have one of the 14496-15 AMD2 (HEVC File Format, aka HEVC-in-"MP4") editors on their team, so they are currently the only ones who can implement it until the last draft is published (the newest draft currently public is from May 2012, and there seem to have been plenty of changes since). Since GPAC is not historically well known for implementing things well/correctly, no-one is copying their implementation, but instead waiting for the last draft to be published to implement it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathrone View Post
Divx have a patch out for mkvtoolknix to add their divx HEVC profiles to the toolset. They also reckon they are close to releasing a HEVC decoder and their own encoder.
They have a patch out for a WIP first draft of HEVC-in-Matroska. You can see the discussion related to it here. I really should have noted that they should have also added the EXPERIMENTAL flag there, since so many people want to grab the extradata format from 14496-15 AMD2, which does not have its current draft released yet. Thus one should NOT think that HEVC-in-Matroska produced with their patched binaries will be compatible with what will end up being specified as the official mapping for HEVC in Matroska. Same warning of course goes for using the GPAC implementation of 14496-15 AMD2, as that can have bugs as well as the draft in general can change with time until the final draft gets published for the final ballot.