View Single Post
Old 1st November 2018, 14:28   #53518  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
With that said, I don't think NGU Sharp was trained well with poor material. I have seen some content look like an oil painting that kind of made me drunk while watching it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Low-quality content does not qualify for that particular type, since even if it was downscaled once, those attributes were destroyed by over-compression, noise, or whatever makes it "low quality".
IMHO for an equal display size, lower definition content needs higher bits/pixel for quality to ,stay the same, but very often it doesn't.
Even YouTube, which (at least with VP9) uses higher bits/pixel at definitions lower than 1080, can't compensate for that (OTOH, their downscaling is horrible... ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
It is, but from someone that does not really want to check all their files before watching, I hope it gets dumbed down a lot to a user level.
Well, you're not forced to measure all your HDR videos before watching, you can still use the dynamic on-the-fly version while setting a brightness reaction time that suits you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
This sounds selfish I guess, but from an HDR to SDR point from a non 4K owner, I am unsure what all these extra settings achieves.
Whether your display is 4K or not doesn't matter, it's useful even on 1080.
It avoids big/sudden brightness variations while at the same time still using the dynamic range of your display in an optimal way.
Think about it like the video version of what measuring your tracks to add ReplayGain metadata does for music instead of using an on-the-fly loudness equalizer/limiter.