Thread: Diving video
View Single Post
Old 10th June 2018, 07:15   #61  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
What would a scene like above look like to you in real time, just as the untouched original, or do eyes/brain somehow magically correct for low reds.
First, eyes have a wider dynamic range than every non pro camera. There is a very nice short bedsheet example regarding dynamic range: you can cover head or feet, not both. Second, brain knows what color should things appear too and I think it makes some channel mixing and white balance inside.

To tell you an example, there is a very large (more than 100 square meters) sponge in Dahab blue hole that is completely green and you can see with your bare eyes but not with any cam I have seen so far.

I keep on thinking that the simplest yet complex task would be to associate depth to color correction, feeding diving log. This could be the first step.

Today I will have a dive on a wreck and probably I will use natural light outside and artificial light inside. I have exchanged the torchlight head from a narrow beam to a 120° beam and set the cam accordingly to same lens width (it merely use a portion of 4k sensor and gives 1080p output, I think).

I changed the camera too for a 4k, mostly to have much better EIS and better light (sony sensor). It's still on the cheap wagon (Apeman A80) but has a diving mode too. Nothing special: it simply gives an automatic but fixed red filtering. Obviously I will use it outside and disable it when using artificial light. I won't for this dive, to give you an idea of water absorbtion. It will be a moderately deep one (40 meters) but red will be gone to hell already.

I will see if there will be some footage worth of posting. Any preferred file hosting? Perhaps youtube is the best place, despite moderate quality corruption.

Edit: no wreck footage. F***ing camera body collapsed under pressure at a ridicolous 32m over a 40m certified depth. No water leakage but buttons were not operative.

Last edited by tormento; 11th June 2018 at 10:30. Reason: Utter jinx.
tormento is offline   Reply With Quote