View Single Post
Old 22nd December 2019, 20:21   #12  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forteen88 View Post
froggy1. Personally (with my 6-core CPU), I like setting --frame-threads 1
because if I use all cores, then the computer gets quite unusable (laggy) for anything else.
Setting --frame-threads 1 makes x265 take like 60-70% of my CPU.
I don't encode a lot though, and I've never tried x265-encoding on a 12+ core CPU.
That's fine, but don't suggest others do it as well. You'll find virtually none here use 1 frame threads for all of their encodes. The quality benefit vs speed just isn't worth it.

I do encodes all the time (previously on an i7-7700K, now on a Ryzen 7 3700X) and spent a few days comparing different options and tweaking things in order to come up with something that improves quality (compared to the i7-7700K) and doesn't sacrifice too much speed on my new Ryzen 7 system. Using 1 frame threads wasn't even a consideration as there's no point in getting a Ryzen 7 for this

As for sluggishness, you can make the encode run at the lowest possible priority and still have a responsive system. Sure, it'll take a bit longer if you do other stuff that uses most or all threads, but it's worth it. As you might guessed from my avatar, I'm on Linux and always run encodes at nice priority of 19 (lowest possible). There is absolutely no sluggishness here. Windows might be different so I can't comment on that