View Single Post
Old 12th January 2019, 12:53   #65  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Dear Confused,

I habitually re-install XP every 3 to 6 months, (multiple systems from ghost images), I like to keep a virgin setup image with new admin user config type stuff, eg default Red Tiles Wallpaper (From Windows 95 originally maybe),
disable ThumbNails, Show files extension and details, switch off all fancy animated translucent blue menus (appear immediately instead of allowing you to appreciate their majestic sliding effect), ie get rid
of all of the crap. Disable Admin & guest accounts, install SysAdmin tools from server 2003, maybe setup some stuff in GPEdit.msc (Group Policy, eg switch off System Restore & File Indexing),
delete temp files, defrag registry and hard drive, then make ghost Image.

Stage 2, add all recent drivers, + install current updates via Wsus Offline Update (LigH is a main man for that stuff), add some stuff like 7zip, Acrobat Reader + quite a few imperatives.
delete temp files, Defrag harddrive again, and image.

Stage 3, add all changeable apps eg Avisynth, Visual Studio, codecs, + much more (incl system updates via Wsus Offline). Delete temp files, defrag and image.

I usually then just go back and use the Stage 3 image, and update with eg current Avisynth, etc, and re-image (after maybe Wsus offline updates, defrag).

Every now and again, go back and update Stage 2, and also Stage 3 images with any updated apps, eg 7zip, java etc, delete temp files, defrag and re-image.
Also, keep note of any addition imperative apps that you have added/updated, so they can be re-installed to the various stage images.

Updates are occasionally added even now for XP (usually only for windows global stuff, eg DotNet or VS CPP runtimes, rather than XP specific).

Have currently got similar setup for W7 (with an additional total virgin stage 0, I dont have setup ISO for W7, was pre-installed).

Re-installing one of the images takes only a few minutes (except for final stage with Visual Studio etc, takes maybe 10 to 15 minutes with about 10 or 12GB high compressed size).

Methinks one of the slow down reasons for an old instalation is maybe the many superceded hotfixes leaving crap behind, re-target image every 3 to 6 months always feels pretty good to me.

EDIT: Delete TEMP files, & Defrag of hard drive is good idea pre ghosting image (for NTFS, dont matter for FAT32 as both FAT's are created on the fly on image targetting & result is that of being defragged).

EDIT: For both XP and W7, I like to have WinPatrol installed (I actually use an old version from 2012, 24.6), keeps me informed of rubbish added to the Run on startup registry
and Startup folders, also can disable them, eg Java Update, or Acrobat update + many more that starts up rubbish on boot.

EDIT: For W10, I now use Macrium Reflect Free Ed, for imaging, pretty nifty and runs fine from USB. (real good idea to image before W10 major update)

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 12th January 2019 at 13:38.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote