View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2016, 08:13   #38131  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Especially the Spyder2 is too old for modern displays, I had to replace my Spyder3 years ago because it could not read accurate colors on the new WLED backlights that seem ubiquitous now or on anything with a wide gamut. Also as they age the filters change so the meters do simply go bad with time (heat, water, oxygen, etc.). Edit: I used the meter with Argyllcms, not their software, which as mentioned, is not very good.

A 3DLUT and a Windows calibration as done by Spyder's software is not the same thing. Think of the Windows calibration as the first step of a calibration and the 3DLUT as the full calibration done in one step.

huhn mentioned using the rendering option "enable windowed overlay" because madVR bypasses the GPU's calibration hardware completely in that mode but it loads the values from the GPU and applies then internally at its high bit depth and before dithering. This does offer better quality but it does not help if the values are bad to start with.
Wasn't there a problem with out of gamut colors using a 3DLUT with windowed overlay mode?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote