View Single Post
Old 17th April 2020, 22:33   #11  |  Link
tugatomsk9
tugatomsk9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
If you have problems with the lossless capturing use your DVD recorder and set it for the best mpeg-2 quality (highest bitrate) and leave as is. Only if file size really matters reencode to AVC (x264).
Filesize is always an issue to me - I have many, many hours of tape to transfer -, so I'd always reenconde it to x264/HEVC.

I also considered using the Sony recorded as a video capture device. There's even a HQ+ option which raises the video bitrate to 15Mbps, outside the original MPEG2 norm. But even if I were to burn it to a DVD+RW and rip it on my computer, the burn itself would have to be an MPEG2 reencode itself due to a limitation imposed by Sony, which is a shame.

But even if I recorded in standar HQ (1h), HSP (1,5h) or even SP (2h) and fill the Sony's 160GB harddrive, I'd still have to burn my DVD+RW a massive number of time. It's a very long and boring process... (Of course, if there was a way to extract the original mpeg2 videos onto my PC, especially if they were HQ+, I'd be all over it.)

Not to mention that I was under the impression that mpeg2 was in itself a poor codec compression-wise?

Last edited by tugatomsk9; 17th April 2020 at 23:48. Reason: clarification
tugatomsk9 is offline   Reply With Quote