View Single Post
Old 24th August 2019, 10:47   #210  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Well, there's a slight difference using "03. Grayscale\04. 10bit test" files of "Mehanik HDR10 test pattern" between 8bit and 10bit (12bit output is set in nvidia CP).
That means processing is not 8bit, but maybe like with chroma 4:4:4, it's not 10bit either I don't know.
you could show a difference between these using 6 bit so what's your point. that's why dithering exist to fake a bit deep that doesn't exist. the simples form is alternating pattern with for example 1 and 0 which would look like 0.5 ignoring gamma curves and such.

Quote:
Don't wait for that

From one of Ted's write up:
"LG will convert any HDMI input RGB-Video colorspace signal to YCbCr 4:4:4 for applying initially most of the UI (user interface) adjustments.
The UI user setting will be merged in an algorithm which will interpolate values between multiple user settings to manipulate the video signal.
Looks like that there additional features of Expert Controls Menu (Dynamic Contrast, White Balance, CMS etc.) which will require more complex processing so for the TV to significantly reduce the bandwidth and the required processing power it will compress the horizontal chroma resolution in half; chroma subsampling from YCbCr 4:4:4 -> YCbCr 4:2:2; as this will reduce by 33.3% the video data bandwidth.
I believe this is the reason why these OLED TV's will not display full chroma (YCbCr 4:4:4 or RGB-Video) with PC Icon enabled (of HDMI Input) from 24p/30p/50p input signal but only with 60p signal where all the Expert Control menu controls are disabled, so the video signal will bypass that 'Expert Controls Menu' processing step."
sonys can do everything in 4:4:4 even entry level sonys...
and monitors anyway.

BTW. RGB is very useful for UI interfaces because you can alpha blend and such there is a reason computer and computer games use it.
doing colorcorrection and such is very easy even at 16 bit i would even say it is trivial simple quality scaling should cost more.
stuff like motion interpolation and such are processing intensive not the general work of a TV it's not much different from a monitor.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote