View Single Post
Old 5th January 2014, 16:57   #963  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexin View Post
I missed this software encoder over the years it's a shame the name is LameXP. The name Lame I have associated over the years with mp3 only.
Maybe I should officially rebrand LameXP to:
Superduper Anything to MP3/Vorbis/AAC/FLAC/Opus/APE Converter 2014 XXL Pro Ultra+ for Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1

Joking aside, this program once started as a very simple LAME encoder GUI for WindowsXP, which was limited to WAVE to MP3 conversions - thus the name.

More and more features (like more encoders and decoders) have been added over the past 10 years of development. But I just never felt like "updating" the name of the program.

It's partly because that's the name people know for almost a decade now. And partly because I'm not very creative in thinking up names

(Note: I know that Windows XP will reach end-of-life, once and for all, in a few months. I plan to support XP for a few more years though. But then I really need a new name!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexin View Post
OT: Mp3 has very bad sound even from cd source to highest bitrates. Thankfully aac has come to our rescue it's a shame it is apple that released it. Now we have hardly no decent aac encoders. Wait for newer better than aac encoder that is also freely distributed without limitations for all to use.
Now that statement, which indeed is a bit off-topic, sounds mostly like a rant to me:

If MP3 at 320 kbps still doesn't sound transparent to your ears, you must either have an exceptional hearing ability, your were using a crappy MP3 encoder or something with your testing method/environment was borked

According to ABX tests, most people agree that LAME can achieve transparent quality way below the maximum bitrate:
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....coder_settings

Furthermore, AAC is generally superior to MP3 at lower bitrates. But as the bitrates increase, the perceptual differences diminish - because at one point both formats will be transparent.

So if you want decent quality at ultra-low bitrates, AAC (or maybe nowadays Opus?) will obviously be a better choice than MP3. But if you are using medium to high bitrates, you can achieve great quality with any of them

Last but not least: There is FFmepg's AAC encoder, FAAC, Nero AAC encoder, QAAC (Apple/iTunes encoder) and libfdk_aac (Fraunhofer FDK encoder), just to name a few. How many AAC encoders do you need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octo-puss View Post
Anyone else wondering what does that post have to do with LameXP?
Except for the first statement - not much.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 6th January 2014 at 15:31.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote