Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 20th September 2013, 07:16   #36  |  Link
qyot27
...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim View Post
Currently, the reason everything is on the main branch in my repo, is because it is my repo. Meaning it is set up so that if anyone clones my master, he'll get the latest stable version of my changes. That makes the most sense to me. Why would anyone clone my repo if they want the official branch of Avisynth? So my stable work is in the master of my repo, while I'd be using branches for non-stable or work-in-progress of other features I'm working on, and for upstream. This is not a problem for IanB, because he can pull changesets/patches from any of the branches, his master does not need to be the same as my master branch. If I were in the official repo though, I'd obviously be working in a seperate/private branch, though I doubt IanB will let me do that.
That suggestion was mostly to make sure that there's no potential conflicts if you try to pull in changes from upstream - having all of it in master means that there's the potential for changes to be sandwiched between runs of cvsimport, or for conflicts in the tree to arise that might be more unexpected (for that matter, the stuff from cvsimport could go in a different branch like 'trunk' or something, with master the way it currently is; the same basic idea applies - letting whatever happens upstream have its own branch). Github does allow the ability to set alternate branches as main so that a user doing a clone gets the branch you want them to get (I had it set up that way for my FFMS2* repo for a long time, where the 'patches' branch was the one you'd get from a normal clone).

*which is now the ffms2-old repo; I re-forked my main one against the official repo after the move to Github