View Single Post
Old 16th August 2018, 13:52   #27629  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurayhd View Post
Hi all, I just finish encode my backup of Star Wars The Last jedi, I´m a very fan and I like the menu, so I keep the trueHD English and Spanish (my first language) and I setup Bd rebuilder to encode the best quality Very slow (as always do) but when Bd rebuilder finish the encoding I wacth the result on my tv LED and I dont know if is just me or the image could be several reduce because the Truehd that size is 5.272.670.208? What do you say? I need to encode it with DTS with less size?

Maybe an audio track size 5.272.670.208 (keeping the HD intact) is too much for an encode of 25gb?

Anyway I dont know, some people at home says the image is amazing, but like I said I dont, maybe is the grain? maybe is the movie?
If you keep a 5GB audio track, you are bound to see some degradation in video... you've used 1/5 of the total available space for a single audio track (and there are likely be more). Worse is the fact that there really is no such thing as "HD Audio" in the real world, it's a marketing gimmick -- so it's not only a lot of used space, it's a lot of wasted space. The standard human ear can only hear ~20Hz-20Khz -- and AC-3 provides that. Some will argue that they have "magic" ears and can hear the difference -- but every scientific double-blind test says they can't. In most cases the manufacturer will add a little extra volume to the "HD" audio to give the appearance of clarity. Snake oil. JMHO.

As mentioned earlier -- normally a 25GB backup is plenty of space for both video and "HD" audio... but in a full backup there can be a LOT of extraneous other video/audio included as well. I've even seen discs that have hours of unreferenced video included on the disc just to try to ruin a backup's quality (although BD-RB sees that and adjusts for it).

Last edited by jdobbs; 16th August 2018 at 14:04.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote