View Single Post
Old 5th November 2019, 10:05   #17665  |  Link
howzz

@Atak_Snajpera

i noticed that in the latest update, you included an option for user to select decoding method. although Lmash is slow, on my NvMe it's still fast for demuxing, indexing etc.
but my question is, is there any real speed difference in using GPU for "decoding" method?

btw, i see a lot of folks are discussing about NvMe here. i was an early adapter of NvMe for my 4K workflow, trust me, invest in a couple good NvMe drives. it's worth it. and do yourself a favor, don't go below 1TB. my current 4K workflow, nothing takes longer than 4 mins for initial demux, indexing, gathering information altogether. most 4K UHD sources take 3~4 mins total to do all that. if you have the source sits on the same NvMe drive, it'll only take 3~4 mins.

the trick with shopping for NvMe drives is look for TLC drives and avoid QLC drives at all cost. QLC's raw writing speed is less than 100 MB/s. i've tried them all and went through them all and experience all of it the hard way. once the SLC cache run out, QLC's raw writing speed will fall below 100 MB/s sometimes 70 MB/s, that's slower than most high end 7200rpm spindle. and smaller the drive, smaller the SLC casche will be. on a 1TB QLC drive, your SLC cache is probably gonna be about less than 20GB when it's filled at 50%. the intel 660P 2TB drive, theoretically, if you over provision it and treat it as a 1.5TB drive, theoretically you'll always have more than 50GB of SLC caching. but just do yourself a favor, avoid all the QLC drives out there. go for a fast TLC drive from Corsair, Sillicon power, Samsung, and you'll be a lot happier. most TLC's raw writing speed, provided if the onboard processor is of recent version, will be around 600~800 MB/s even after it runs out of its SLC caching. so when doing 4K UHD workflow working with large 60~70 GB files, you're going to be counting on the raw writing speed. when shopping around, look for reviews that do tests on large 25~50 GB file "write" tests, and the chart will show you the speed difference once those SLC cache runs out.

if money is of no object, Samsung is the way to go. but otherwise get one of those Corsair MP510, or silicon power TLC drives. 1~2TB will be most ideal. and make sure that your mobo supports PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2, even though realistically, ripbot workflow will never really exceed 1500 MB/s throuput, just under the max bandwidth of PCIe 2.0 x4

Last edited by howzz; 5th November 2019 at 10:07.
howzz is offline   Reply With Quote