View Single Post
Old 21st June 2016, 23:22   #2  |  Link
johnmeyer

Your attachments have not yet been approved, but in general, if the transfer house delivered a deinterlaced version, you didn't get a professional transfer. You really want to deal with the original, interlaced video for as far down the chain as you can. You certainly never want someone else to do it for you: they usually screw it up, as you have found out.

The best thing would be to ask them to transfer it again and give you an interlaced version, and have them save it using either a lossless codec (best option), or at least something that will produce very minimal compression artifacting. I have always been a fan of Cineform, but I think people on this forum may have some better, more modern suggestions.

Finally, while you can indeed "re-interlace" footage using motion estimation, it will compound the loss that you've already experienced by allowing the transfer house to deinterlace. Remember that deinterlacing always degrades the result. There is no way around that. Once you have done it, for most situations, there is really no reason to turn it back into interlaced video. My recommendation is to always keep it interlaced, and then either let your TV or software player do its job of deinterlacing, or do it yourself using some really good software, but only after you've done everything else.

Of course if you have to re-size, you must deinterlace before you do that, so if you go that route, just keep it deinterlaced.

Last edited by johnmeyer; 21st June 2016 at 23:25. Reason: Hit "save" instead of "preview" button, and I wasn't finished yet
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote