View Single Post
Old 14th November 2018, 20:44   #1  |  Link
stormy1777

VD2 External Encoder questions

In the "compress" dialog (ctrl-P) I was "force of habit" choosing "x264vfw H.264/MPEG-4 ACV codec", thinking it is the "best", however, was alerted that is probably not the best/latest X264 to use.

Few lines above it has: "x264 8 bit H.264/MPEG-4 ACV codec" as well as 10 bit.. although these seem to be same r2851, and i was told to use r2935...

Question1:
Is there a way for "me" to some how update the x264 to r2935 (without recompiling source codes) or must this be done by the developer of VD2?

Question2:
If "External Encoder" is the only option to get r2935 (latest) to work, is there a way to configure it to only encode the VIDEO, and leave the audio AS-IS, i.e. not compress at all? (direct copy stream) ?

I've setup the external encoding, and it works (aside from projected file size going all over the map), however, could not figure how to disable the Audio encoding..

1) tried setting "Audio encoder" to NONE in the edit external encoder SET. that failed during encoding audio.

2) Tried creating an audio encoder that supposedly is a "noop", just "copy stream" with these arguments:

Program: \Bin\FFMpeg\ffmpeg.exe
command arguments: -y -i - -codec copy "%(tempaudiofile)"
output filename: %(outputname).audio

but that failed as well:

Code:
---------------------------
VirtualDub Error
The audio encoding process has prematurely exited with an error code of 1 (00000001). Check the log for possible error messages.
OK   

Does anyone have a way to run latest X264 codec without external encoders? otherwise, if someone is using external encoders, how does one setup audio copy stream, instead of compressing it.

Thanks much for any tips.
Stormy.
stormy1777 is offline   Reply With Quote