View Single Post
Old 16th November 2013, 20:48   #18336  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFuture View Post
@ JDobbs

I found why only 2 of 5 are showing. I had output set to "Target Size BD-25". When switched to BD-5/9 then all 5 show in the list including the menu; in Full Backup.

To get around the AAC -> AC-3 then AC-3 again, what about AAC to WAV making changes to it, then encode to AC-3? Using an uncompressed WAV it would be less degradation to the audio, right? Maybe detection for MOV files so it's the only time it's activated in such a way during Import? Your thoughts?
That's what you are always doing when you convert from one codec to another. FAAD gives you WAV output that is fed directly into AFTEN via pipe (which encodes to AC3). It's possible to keep it WAV for the mux... but it gets huge and slows things down. In most cases the source is 48Kbs already making the second encode unnecessary, and if you don't reencode from AAC to AC3 the first time, and decide to burn directly from the encode -- you're stuck with the huge audio. For many encodes that would also mean required video encoding to hit the target (PCM audio is huge) when it shouldn't be necessary.

The ideal solution would be to do the sample rate conversion in that same step as the AAC->AC3 conversion. I'm looking to see if I can find a tool that accepts pips for input, allows a pipe for output and resamples. That way it could be plugged into the command line. If I can't find one I can always write one.

Converting to AC3 at 640Kbs or higher (for 6 channels) has been proven to be undetectable to the human ear. Which means it is just as good as WAV from a practical standpoint. But there's no denying that too many conversions will eventually degrade audio.

Last edited by jdobbs; 16th November 2013 at 20:57.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote