View Single Post
Old 1st February 2019, 20:02   #54547  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
Good point, at least for the displays that can reach more than 1000nits in HDR and support dynamic tonemapping with HDR10 content (not many). I keep forgetting indeed how poorly designed flat panels are in that they don't allow to reach peak brightness in a non HDR mode. I guess in that case users are stuck with a driver that can passthrough the correct metadata, until MS/nVidia/Madshi can correct this. Here, only 385.28 allows this, although 388.16 (the default driver installed by MS when detecting the GPU) seems to passthrough metadata correctly too, contrary to what I reported yesterday. Some are reporting more recent drivers working with passthrough, it might be dependent on GPU models and bit depth.

However, if I had an OLED in a dedicated room, I would much rather use MadVR's dynamic tonemapping and dynamic targets with a peak brightness of 400nits than the display's static tonemapping at 600nits+. So I stand by what I said, which applies to most current displays.

If there are displays that do dynamic tonemapping and dynamic targets with HDR10 content (given that HDR10+ isn't supported on UHD Bluray), I'd like to know which ones, because I'm not aware of any, although that's probably off topic.
My C8 does dynamic tone mapping. I combine it with madvr's and set a target of 700. What little tonemapping that needs to be done is done by madvr and passed to the tv. In theory the TV's dynamic tonemapping wouldn't need to do anything because it should be under the max nits for the display. This is what I've been using for a while now and absolutely love the results I get.

EDIT: Yes, I see your reply about dynamic targets above...

Last edited by SamuriHL; 1st February 2019 at 20:10.
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote