View Single Post
Old 11th February 2019, 21:46   #54673  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
No doubt, but what concerns me is if we/they mess to what they think it should look like, then are they actually seeing what it was meant to be. [...] if there is such a thing and looking at that forum, it is going round in circles with every new clever iteration.
I don't see it that way. From reading that thread over at AVS Forum, they are very carefully comparing the results of madVR's tonemapping with what a full range image would/should look like. It's also madshi's stated goal to create processing that gives results that are visually closer to what a full range HDR display would (highlight recovery is a good example). They spend a lot of time testing with and discussing specific scenes, but it's all done in a pretty scientific way IMHO.
Of course anybody is free to ignore that and just use passthrough especially if you have a good HDR display, but if you only own an SDR display that can output high brightness or an HDR display with bad tonemapping, and you want the best picture possible then it's an interesting development and I don't think it's a case of excessive tweaking.