View Single Post
Old 15th July 2016, 03:59   #226  |  Link
Quikee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarinka View Post
It is fine to be a fan of royalty free codecs, but I think you give the MPEG technology a little bit too small credit.
HEVC isn't just a small slight improvement.
I agree MPEG did a good job with HEVC, however they were totally agnostic regarding patents and I think they need some "beating" for this mistake and I think AOM with AV1 will do this. This will force them to require some patent commitments from participants or their technology won't be adapted in the standard. Maybe we would also see a standard that is partially or completely royalty free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarinka View Post
And are we forgetting already that VP9 is basically just a copy of HEVC with some nerfs (worse reference structure, weird hacky b-frames, lack of weighted prediction or SAO, IIRC)? On2 still did it the usual way: take ideas from the MPEG standard, and obfuscate them a bit to not be directly exposed to patent lawyers.
I'm not an expert and don't have a much knowledge of video coding techniques but at least I find VP9 "hacky b-frames" quite ingenious solution. It generally makes the decoder agnostic of what kind of frame (past or future) is currently decoding as this is not part of the bitstream. A future frame is only flaged for not showing and I think this makes it a more flexible concept than b-frames. You could also have a frame that is neither past nor the future by maybe a hybrid of more frames - however I don't know if this would be beneficial.

libvpx doesn't exploit all the possibilities that the format has to offer and I think it would come much closer to the quality of HEVC if an alternative implementation emerges and starts exploiting such things (my hope is Eve will better show what VP9 is capable of).
Quikee is offline   Reply With Quote