View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2011, 23:35   #1  |  Link
lovelove

well-kept MKV secrets: editions, segment linking, ordered chapters, virtual timelines

I recently stumbled upon 2 blog posts about
"101 things you never knew you could do with Matroska":
part 1 and part 2.

It got me all excited. Countless possibilities came to my mind (inserting external deleted/alternate scenes in your favorite film, repeating video sequences with zero file size increase, enconding common parts only once for a group of videos, etc.) I checked and the features are officially documented in MKVmerge since 2003, so I was quite optimistic that it would indeed work.

Seems I was wrong. I "enabled splitting" in MKVmerge and "link files", but neither VLC nor MPC-HC is aware of the linking and thus none of the abovementioned features work.

Still, there are people here on D9 who use e.g. ordered chapters.. I wonder how. The impression I got from the mod16 blogpost above is that only the Haali splitter supports these features. Though that's something I'd rather avoid, as if possible I prefer self-contained, standalone, portable environments (like VLC, MPC-HC) which don't interfere with the whole system or other programs.

So what is the state of affairs?
Is it true that VLC, MPC and MPC-HC don't support these Matroska features?
Are there any other standalone players which do?
What are your thoughts/recommendations/alternatives/workarounds/ideas ?

Last edited by lovelove; 3rd September 2011 at 12:20.
lovelove is offline   Reply With Quote