View Single Post
Old 30th December 2011, 09:42   #3  |  Link
JoeH

1. Good points. As far as the first one, so far I haven't had any problems as long as I don't select the VTS*_0 file (which seems to generally have the trailers, logos, etc. However, there could be exceptions I suppose. If so, something like PGCDemux could be used. I actually have used PGCDemux often, but since the method I described has fewer steps and so far hasn't failed me I prefer it.
2. The goal of this guide is in fact re-encoding after editing.
3. Yes, this guide is for use with NLE's that support 5.1 or 7.1 audio. I recommend Vegas Movie Studio Platinum, but Magix Movie Edit Pro is also very good. Both products cost less than $100. I actually use Vegas Pro, but if I had to purchase again today I would get Movie Studio Platinum. I'm not aware of any free NLE's for Windows that support 5.1 or 7.1 audio.
4. I didn't include info about the subtitles, but they are important to me. I didn't include them in this guide because I never actually extract the subtitles from the original DVD or Blu-ray. Here is a summary of what I have found works best:
a. Download SRT subtitle file in the language you are interested in from one of the online subtitle sites (there are many, just Google "subtitles download")
b. Make any necessary changes to the subtitles. If I cut the video, I retime the subtitles using Subtitle Workshop 4 (maybe I'll write a guide about how to do that in a failsafe way later).
c. Then I mux the subtitles into the final product (some programs which I know of which do this for DVDs are MuxMan, TMPGEnc Authoring Works, AudioMuxer, etc. There may be better ones for DVD. For Blu-rays I use TSMuxer, which does subtitles very well).

Last edited by JoeH; 30th December 2011 at 09:44.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote