View Single Post
Old 1st August 2017, 21:21   #26337  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by worknstiff View Post
@ MrVideo RE: Something wrong with using available sun light when outside? Besides, you can't "film" with digital cameras. I've never found a way to put film in them. In any event, how can detail be lost?

No I think good old sunlight is the way to go but I was specifically talking about all the films (IE: I meant that in a general way not literally "filmed" with film.) that want to use something like candle light when shooting a scene. I REALLY hate the strobing effect and the lack of any detail. Don't even get me started with the shaky cam cuts using what appears to be a low resolution handicam. I am also pissed when I watch something like Lost City of Z and the color grading has robbed even most of the "probably" gorgeous outdoor shots of the amazon into a green washed out mess. Then all the interior shots were so low light there wasn't a lot of details of what was some probably pretty good looking set pieces. I get they the director and photographer were going for a "French painter Claude Lorrain was an aesthetic influence on the film's design. Khondji said he purposely designed mythical images of skies that Lorrain may have painted that are filled with gold, red, and blue (or a combination of them) effect BUT what about giving me a decent looking film anyway. I even played with the color and contrast gamma setting trying to better be able to see the movie. I wish everything would just look like it was supposed to look instead of being so artsy fartsy.
I feel you on this one...

Now, Mr. Video... we all KNOW that the director, etc., can do anything they want. C'mon Bro, that's kind of stating the obvious... But, when they happen to choose to do something with the aesthetics that a person really doesn't like, well, that is what the fellow above is talking about.

For example, the 'nice' Dutch fellow who gave us 'THE HUMAN CENTIPEDE' clearly chose to portray what some of us would find quite disgusting. So, just blindly saying, 'well, he's the director and can do what he wants', is all good and true. BUT... as the fellow above says, we don't HAVE to like it!
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote