View Single Post
Old 5th March 2011, 22:49   #36  |  Link
Robert Martens

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vit- View Post
Figured it was still new enough to change, although I did realize it would affect your script...
Never something to worry about; I'm the one that wanted to use TGMC in the first place, and then QTGMC when it was introduced, and it's my responsibility to keep up with updates to my script's dependencies. I caught it quickly because I have far too much free time on my hands, and Doom9 is always right there in my browser's autocomplete dropdown. In this case, I'm subscribed to the QTGMC thread, so I get email notifications of new posts, but in any event I'm on the boards every five minutes checking up on things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vit- View Post
I notice that you've flagged the possibility of QTGMC global variable clashes if people use QTGMC in your 'bgargs' setting. You might want to note that adding the setting PrevGlobals="Replace" to QTGMC will prevent any such clashes. Is it worth adding that setting to your own QTGMC calls?
That was just an offhand comment I threw in before I uploaded the script, as I remembered the potential for bgargs to dramatically complicate this entire process. I suppose you're right about adding the note to my own docs instead of pointing people to yours to learn the same thing, I guess I didn't think that through too well. I'll add it to the next release, but right now I think far too few people would even use bgargs to make it worth an update.

As for adding the setting to my own calls, there's really only the possibility for two now. Something I realized when testing QTGMC 3.20 is that my internal 'bobbed' variable was being generated even if the user asked for a boxed output size (which would ignore 'bobbed' at the top level SSU and generate the deinterlaced output when calling SimpleSlug from within the Box function).

This pointed out to me something you touched on in your thread, and that I'd thought I'd adequately reviewed for this script, the fact that variables are initialized even if they're not used. I've now hidden the 'bobbed' deinterlacing behind a conditional, and the top level assignment is a NOP() if the user asks for letter/pillar/windowboxed output.

As such, there's only ever one QTGMC call in SimpleSlug--save bgargs, as noted--since everything I do is parse-time parameter selection, and all the QTGMC() lines peppered through it are merely strings that are later parsed by Eval().

It still may be worth adding the overwrite argument, I just need to look into it a bit more. I wanted to get a new version out to accomodate the new variable name, so any users I may actually have can use the fanciest new QTGMC you're offering. I'm working on finishing up TurnsTile 0.2.0 at the moment, which could be either a few hours or a few days away from release, but after that I'll swing back to SSU and take a deeper look at refining my approach to your global variable setup.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote