View Single Post
Old 13th July 2015, 10:38   #31726  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I would also be cool with creating a folder in mVR's folder such as "SuperRes HQ OFF" or something if that's not too much trouble please.
Ok, I could live with that. Will add it to a future build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
@madshi: Something weird is going on. If I make MPC-HC window size equal to screen size madVR will go into exclusive mode and position window in center even though it weren't before. If I open context menu to disable exclusive mode it window go back to its original place. Also seekbar doesn't work in this "exclusive mode" probably it is not reported correctly.

To reproduce open any file in MPC-HC. And stretch the window to display size (not work area size). Basically this means to Make MPC-HC max size. To do that you need manual grab window borders and stretch it.

I will look into details tommorow. But it looks like madVR have "if (windowSize == displaySize) GoToRetardedExclusiveMode();" logic
That sounds quite weird! I'm having trouble reproducing it, though. I suppose the MPC-HC window is not centered on the screen in this situation, is it? Could you create a debug log that shows this situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Today, I attempted to embrace image sharpening as tool to improve an image rather than enhance its artifacts. I found the following settings beneficial in improving the quality of high-definition video:

1080p -> 1080p
Image Enhancements - FineSharp (strength 0.6)

720p -> 1080p
Upscaling Refinement - SuperRes (medium: strength=1.0; passes=1)

SuperRes is my favourite of the two. Its ringing is not obvious or bothersome compared to other sharpeners. I'm curious if the luma and chroma are doubled together or just the luma like the other shaders?

An AR filter for FineSharp would be great.
I had tried to add an AR filter for FineSharp, but my first try didn't work very well. Will have to try again later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachbar View Post
Does madvr support 36-bit deep color output or does it cap out at 30-bit?
Direct3D11 supports either 8bit, 10bit or 16bit, but not 12bit. The GPU drivers make of that whatever they want. If I output 10bit, some GPU drivers output 10bit, others 12bit, others 8bit or 16bit. So in other words I don't have exact control over what the GPU outputs, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip_let View Post
I was checking through a variety of content to find bad samples for s-xbr and just ran across a case where s-xbr doubling at any sharpness gets confused. I'm sure there are others, but in case someone's never seen what weirdness can happen sometimes, here it is.

s-xbr 50 vs. nnedi3 16
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/134926

Original image

Doesn't really matter which s-xbr setting; it gets confused and erases some of the lines in the background grid in the box with the 32275GP with all of them. And there's nothing special about nnedi3, which was used for comparison. It could have been anything else. I think SuperRes may be on for both, but that's besides the point and not consequential.
Interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
@trip_let:
Your example perfectly shows, why super-xbr in it's current state is not a contender to NNEDI3 at all. Personally, I found the loss of picture details disturbing and also the strange alterations in various samples. Your example (and other tests I've done yesterday) only show that:

1) super-xbr seems to completely erase/destroy very visible picture details and also fine detail (look at the various 1s at the bottom, it almost modifies the 1 to an I, unacceptable)
2) NNEDI3 is a lot sharper than super-xbr (which is a result of the loss of fine detail)
3) super-xbr "rounds everything" and acts as some kind of anti-aliasing filter, adding picture information where there was none before

People that want an accurate representation of the original should stay away from it, even though it might be a lot faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Pixel Art is a special kind of content, and resizers/doublers designed for generic content will just not always handle it properly. Its not a very convincing example of anything other than the fact that it doesn't work nicely for Pixel Art.
^

Agree with nevcairiel. Although super-xbr was originally made for pixel art! Which means that maybe Hyllian may want to look into this issue? Not sure if it's easily fixable, though.

In any case, yes, NNEDI3 is superior to super-xbr in quality - but at a multiple of the performance cost. It's your decision which algo to use, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
Personally, I found that the new bilateral chroma scaler is extremely promising, at least on the samples I've watched closely, it's also extremely fast, looks great and is a perfect combination with NNEDI3 doubling and Bicubic50/75 for luma upscaling. Very good results if you can take the NNEDI3 performance hit.
There are some samples which show significant problems with the bilateral chroma upscaler, though. So once we concentrate on that, we'll have to collect such samples and try to fix them. For now I'm still concentrated on SuperRes.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote