View Single Post
Old 27th December 2016, 05:59   #41767  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
I know that this topic does not belong to this forum, but I ask the same. Does anyone have the color scale (Or whatever their name is) to calibrate the tv to bt.2020? Or some page from where to download it?
I assume you mean the BT.2020 gamma curve? That cannot be done correctly without a meter either but on an OLED, with their very low black levels, BT.2020 is basically pure power 2.4. BT.2020 is a theoretical color space that would require new (magic?) laser technology to actually implement as a display.

After owning several meters and comparing to test pattern calibration methods I have come to the conclusion that a spectrometer is necessary to actually get a decent calibration. This is especially true with novel or new display technologies. Colorimeters don't work very well with every display having different LED backlights, even OLEDs aren't identical model to model. Test patterns are basically useless, or worse, in my experience, unless the display is completely wrong. Test patterns can only optimize one aspect at a time so you end up making three things worse to improve one aspect a bit.

Your TV is close to the DCI-P3 primaries, so if you want to look for a test pattern for that you might be able to do something good but you could also make it worse then the default factory calibration.