View Single Post
Old 13th September 2013, 18:49   #218  |  Link
ultim
AVS+ Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB View Post
The off hand answer is so you can run off the end safely with an sse load or store, but as you say size+align-1 would be sufficient. So I don't know, may be you can do some archaeology and find an answer. Here is a link to version 1.1 of Avisyntn.cpp, Thu Jul 4 13:16:41 2002 UTC (11 years, 2 months ago) by richardberg as originally supplied by BenRG. Around version 1.9 Sh0dan started doing something with improving alignment.
Thanks IanB! I really appreciate you being here for us every day and helping us.

As for the reason of the memory allocation in question, I looked at the repository, but unfortunately, there is nothing there to answer me. In the initial checkin (first-ever version 1.1 of avisynth), where the supported alignment was only 8 bytes, the reserved extra space was already 32 bytes. So even here, farthest back in the history, we see that align*4 is used. "+32" was then refactored to "+align*4" in revision 1.12 (Mon Feb 10 16:42:40 2003), but even there, the commit only contains the unhelpful message of "Moved avisynth_2_1 onto MAIN".

"so you can run off the end safely with an sse load or store" cannot be the reason either, because the row pitch (which is calculated based on the alignment) already makes sure that such things cannot happen.

So I have no explanation for the current code right now, so I'm gonna try changing it to "+align-1", do some tests and see if anything breaks apart. My bet is that everything will still work as expected, but ofc it wouldn't be the first time for me to be wrong.

Last edited by ultim; 13th September 2013 at 18:59.
ultim is offline   Reply With Quote