View Single Post
Old 16th October 2018, 18:09   #6438  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

I think the general problem is that the presets and tunings are really old. I'm quite sure things are very much different now compared to what they were when most of the parameters and settings were come up with. Also, we are still missing the most common tuning which is --tune film. I would very much like to see what the creators of the encoder think of proper settings as they should know the internal workings best.

I recall someone else also complaining about max-merge for smoothing things if the value is too big. I'll need to retest and file a bug report if it's still reproducable. It's been some time since I tested it.

Will also retest deblock 0:0. When I tested it earlier, I did find it smooth things slightly so I went one notch down from the standard -1:-1 of x264's --tune film.

--rdpenalty 1 is something I have not tested recently.

--qg-size 16 does cause the bitrate to jump compared to 32 or 64, but it's worth it in my opinion.
I had tested it with a 720p encode with quite a big filesize difference:
qg-size 64 : 3147,41 kbps
qg-size 32 : 3648,01 kbps
qg-size 16 : 3954,23 kbps
It is something I need to separately retest for 1080p. The bitrates fluctuate a lot, I'd say between 2.5 - 6 Mbps for 720p encodes. I have no specific target so I just use CRF 19.

10 B-frames because for some quite noisy sources, I noticed that 8 consecutive B-frames were being used 5-10% of the time. Setting ten usually meant that the longest sequence was used 1-2% of the time.

Last edited by Boulder; 16th October 2018 at 18:11.
Boulder is offline   Reply With Quote