View Single Post
Old 14th February 2021, 21:19   #1720  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Just go to the %TMP% directory. LameXP will create a sub-folder with a random name here on startup. The lxp_curl.exe you are looking for will be in there.
I use the cygwin terminal and it knows nothing about %TMP%. I just did a search of the program on te C: drive to find it.

An important piece of info was missing from your first response. I enbolded the text. You didn't tell me that. What I found on my system was created in June of 2020. It works.
Quote:
Watch out for a missing DLL file, or for a missing entry point in one of the required DLLs. For me all looks good on my Windows XP machine though:
https://imgur.com/a/7SyOy5j
Yours looks a little different than mine.
Quote:
In your earlier post you said that cURL failed to run with error code -1073741515, aka 0xC0000135, aka STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/ope...c-49e60bebca55

So that would have indicated that the cURL process could not be created because of a missing DLL.

If, however, you can start cURL from the command-line without problem, and if you are 100% sure that you were testing the same "lxp_curl.exe" file, then a missing DLL apparently is not the problem.
Based on the new information about lxp_curl.exe, I first started lamexp and then looked for the program. I then found the "new" version and it indeed fails. The walker indicates that normaliz.dll is missing, which indeed it is. Was this DLL ever shipped with WinXP, or ever added with a patch? I'm at SP3. I found a site to get it, but I need to know the info about the one that you are running (they have several versions). The info line from the walker program will do.
Quote:
Ping is a whole different thing than HTTP. While HTTP is based on TCP, the "ping" command is implemented via ICMP. Note that ICMP is neither based on TCP nor UDP, but is a "layer 3" protocol of its own.
'Tis very true.
Quote:
Generally, a working "ping" does not guarantee that a HTTP/TCP connection will work too. At the same time, if a sever doesn't respond to "ping", it could still respond to HTTP/TCP. Many web-servers block ICMP for security reasons.
True, but google doesn't. I use it to see if my internet connection is alive or dead. If it doesn't work, nothing will.
Quote:
Furthermore, trying to connect to an IP address instead of a host name wouldn't test DNS resolution at all! So, we have to connect to an actual host name, in order to see whether DNS resolution is working properly.
While that is true, the user would have discovered a DNS issue via other means, i.e., just by trying to go to any website via their browser. Odds are that a user would have found an issue with their LAN, or internet connection, long before running lamexp.
Quote:
Last but not least, testing just a single host name (server) would be unreliable, because it would introduce a single point of failure.

That's why we have a list of many "known" host names (160 at this time), and we consider the Internet connection to be "working" as soon as at least 5 out of those could be reached successfully.
IMHO, doing this test is overkill, because of the very reason I mentioned above. Just go to your site to look for the update and if it doesn't work, report back to the user. At that point the user can troubleshoot their LAN/internet.
[quote]In fact, the default (suggested) name of the output folder is based on the file name of the .cue file that you are importing, not on the name of any of the Wave, FLAC or whatever file(s) that are referenced in the .cue file.

Quote:
Is it possible that your .cue file was called something like "album.flac.cue" and therefore the suggested output folder name would be "album.flac", but a file named "album.flac" already existed?
In this case, that is indeed true. That is because there was an album.flac.cue and album.wave.cue file. Why there is a wave cue file is beyond me, size there are no wave files.

Suggestion... if this situation arises, how about adding a pop-up asking the user to enter a new directory name? That is because I end up having to go back and manually rename the directories. Easier to do it up front.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote