View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2014, 11:39   #3  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
So, one of the cool features of HEVC is that it supports the Rec. 2020 color space. HEVC 10-bit supports Rec. 2020's 10-bit version, which has a much bigger color gamut than Rec. 709 and will allow for more saturated colors, particularly in brighter areas of the frame. When we eventually get 12-bit HEVC we should be able to use the 12-bit Rec. 2020 mode which gives high dynamic range as well.

In theory all HDMI 2.0 connections and all Ultra HD branded displays should support Rec. 2020. I'd like to see if they actually do in any meaningful way.

To that end, does anyone have any Rec. 2020 .icm or .icc color profile files for doing any actual processing in that color space? I've got a high gamut display that should theoretically do the right thing with that, and After Effects can use those files. But heck if I know how to generate one of those files from system colorimetery specs?
Samsung lets you manually turn on Rec.2020 support (per HDMI input) in their latest TVs and it shows you that input is expecting Rec.2020 for UHD connections. Not sure what others do.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote