View Single Post
Old 15th February 2018, 08:05   #14  |  Link
`Orum

Quote:
Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
And that was the problem here: avs2yuv defaults to piping out y4m, and the OP simply didn't give x265 the --y4m parameter to make it recognize that it was getting y4m.
Yes, x264 auto-detects y4m whereas x265 does not, so that caught me off guard, at least when combined with its unusual syntax for getting the full help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
*as would x265 builds with the LAVF input patch (see: x265-Yuuki-Asuna, which based on the fact that you're outputting MKV, you're probably already using), if the LAVF it links against had AviSynth support enabled.
Ah, thanks, I wasn't aware there were builds linked against LAVF. I know the x264 builds I use, while supporting 10-bit input, still don't work directly with 10-bit output from an avs script though for some reason (can't recall right now what it was and I'm not on my usual encoding machine). I'm still piping via avs2yuv64 there, but if either x264/x265 supported the 10-bit input directly from the script, that'd be much more convenient.

I've thought about ffmpeg, but that has many codecs rolled into one, so I prefer the individual command-line utilities.