View Single Post
Old 15th January 2018, 10:32   #21  |  Link
candela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap View Post
The announcement post did however state 'no other software can read files in this format so far' (emphasis mine) so I'm not sure if that's a challenge to other devs or if they'll open it up (though currently this feature does give MakeMKV an edge vs the outrageously expensive DeUHD).
It is clear that the Makemkv author has no interest in advancing public knowledge. Read his faq about BD+ which basically states: "the info on Wikipedia is incorrect but I won't tell you what or give any hints". He does not contribute to Videolan's Bluray libraries, instead he writes replacements which redirect calls to Makemkv. Instead of making a new format, he could have simply proposed a new key entry in Keydb, e.g. | H | [hashed key] and update Videolan's library to support it. Unless the 'incorrect assumptions' in keydb are that a DiscID do not uniquely correlate with the required keys (i.e. DiscIDA can have VUKA or VUKB meaning duplicate entries are needed), there was 0 reason for this new format.

He can do whatever he wants but should simply state 'I want people to use my program so I'm encrypting the keys, good luck figuring it out'. Anyway, 0 fucks given by me about UHD, I'm interested in opening up regular Bluray playback

By the way, Relight's database can simply store these hashed keys, and output the desired format when needed. People on myce will probably correlate the hashed keys with the regular DiscIDs in their excel list (and we will see if the DiscID was indeed an 'incorrect assumption' or not)

Last edited by candela; 15th January 2018 at 11:50.
candela is offline   Reply With Quote