View Single Post
Old 21st December 2010, 16:53   #7  |  Link
Lyris

Just to clarify Manono, are you talking from the perspective of recompressing already compressed DVDs, or going from broadcast tape formats (or similar) to DVD?

Quote:
Again, look to the good Hollywood DVDs.
The what?
Most of the Hollywood DVDs I've seen are lowpass filtered into oblivion and are hardly good from a compression standpoint either. Some of the "giveaway" DVDs that come bundled with the BDs I buy now are a joke, and that's not me being defensive.

Quote:
The movies may be crap, most of them, but those guys do know how to encode MPEG-2 video, for the most part.
Can you give me some examples of Hollywood DVDs you think are good?

Quote:
So, you're using the crummy default Standard Matrix?
Yes. The results are anything but crummy. As I said, using anything else has never produced visibly better results.

I'd love to know more about what alternative matrixes you'd recommend, and in what circumstances. Can you suggest a new Q-Matrix I should use, so we can do a test encode with the default CCE matrix and also one with your suggestion? I would like to see the improvement you speak of. I can send you a small uncompressed sample of the source material if you like. Curious to learn about your reasoning.

Last edited by Lyris; 21st December 2010 at 17:43.
Lyris is offline   Reply With Quote