View Single Post
Old 4th October 2019, 06:07   #608  |  Link
Asmodian

I think your settings are generally quite good.

Chroma upscaling: I prefer NGU AA, especially for chroma. Even when using NGU sharp I use NGU AA for chroma. I never set it higher than high for chroma, even with a 2080 Ti and in my SD profiles. Very high doesn't seem to improve real world chroma scaling, it may even harm it. So don't feel like you need a better GPU for that.
Image downscaling: I actually use SSIM - 1D 100% LL AR relaxed, 2D can be a bit much depending on the content and scale factor. 2D is great sometimes but I like 1D more for most 4K -> 1080p downscaling when I want to watch 4K content in a window. Linear light is important for downscaling.
Image upscaling: I like NGU AA very high, especially for animated or non-real life content but NGU AA v.s. NGU Standard is a fairly subtle difference with trade-offs either way. I don't like upscaling and downscaling for scaling factors below 1.5 for doubling or 3x for quadrupling. I also use Jinc AR for upscaling and Lanczos3 LL AR for downscaling after doubling/quadrupling.

There is no reason to set particularly large buffers, it simply spikes the IO and CPU/GPU for longer after a seek or on startup. As long as they are big enough to never get frame drops due to background tasks I set them as low as possible. The defaults are quite good and I use 8/16 for GPU/CPU buffers. I also use D3D11 with present for every vsync.

One setting you forgot to mention was the frames presented in advance. I found 3 to work best for me on Win10 and current Nvidia drivers (436.48), again as low as possible while never getting presentation glitches or frame drops. 8 seems too high.

Dithering is also very important. On my LG C7 and C9 I like ordered dithering but on my previous LCD screens I preferred ED1 or 2. I also much prefer disabling both colored noise and change dither for every frame. In my "Max Quality" settings.bin, linked at the end of the third post in this thread, I set ED1 for "slow" dithering but I actually use ordered dithering for both fast and slow myself. I just couldn't post a "max quality" settings file and not use one of the error diffusion dithering options.

Last edited by Asmodian; 4th October 2019 at 08:25.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote