View Single Post
Old 19th August 2019, 14:30   #101  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsdr View Post
What is exactly your issue ?
If it's difference between dither and ConvertXYZ, it's expected, as dither is only doing matrix convertion.
My only issue was expecting that when I do the same color conversion with programs X, Y & Z (pun intended), the result should be the same. I'm not sure that's unexpected.

Even when using the same program, I don't think many people would expect completely different results from the same kind of conversion. ie XYZtoYUV vs LinearRGBtoYUV.
Don't get me wrong, I finally understand why they're so different.

So rec.2020 conversions with DitherTools are effectively wrong?

As a side question, do you know how the average TV handles rec.2020? Amongst all the reading I did yesterday I stumbled on some posts in another forum somewhere, and they were discussing how at the moment the rec.2020 colorspace is something of a "future proof" colorspace, in that no TVs today are capable of displaying much more than the rec.709 range of colors. If that's true, I guess I'm asking if I upscale a HD video to UHD and convert the colors, for it to display correctly in an UHD TV's media player, should I be using the "matrix only" method or do it "properly" with the XYZ method. I don't have a UHD TV so I have no idea, but it seems silly to be up-converting the colors with a "matrix only" method if it won't display correctly.

Edit: It also makes me wonder what the point of ConvertToRGB(matrix="Rec2020") would be if it's only doing a matrix conversion which is technically wrong.

Just trying to get this whole thing straight in my head.

Cheers.

Last edited by hello_hello; 19th August 2019 at 14:50.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote