View Single Post
Old 25th July 2020, 11:05   #6  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Very interesting findings.
I expected huffyuv, UTVideo and magicyuv to perform faster than x264 and x265 although slower.
I also expected FFV1 to perform better than huffyuv, magicyuv, lagarith and UTVideo, but at a way slower speed. Apparently the tests confirm this but also show that FFV1 is worse than x264, and x265, so now we know for sure.
As to the CPU utilization, it's right that they shouldn't be using your CPU at the very maximum, but there are different reasons. Codecs like Lagarith and Huffyuv are poorly parallelized due to their age: they were invented many years ago back when monocore CPUs were ruling the market, so they don't scale up that well on a multithread environment. As to UTVideo, it's more recent and should be able to top up your CPU at a relatively high frame rate. If you're recording at 60p, it should capture at 60p without dropping any frames. If it does, it might not be your CPU but your storage instead. Keep in mind that saving lossless files can be a strain for mechanical drives 'cause they have to constantly write a huge amount of data and perhaps they're not using contiguous cells or perhaps there are things going on in the background or perhaps they overheat and slow down... Particularly in laptops, manufacturers are more prone to install some crappy Toshiba hard drives that run at 5400 instead of 7200 with a bad hit on speed.
Do you have a mechanical drive or an SSD? If you have an SSD, is the SSD connected via Sata I, Sata II, Sata III, mSata / NVME?
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote