View Single Post
Old 31st July 2020, 20:40   #13  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Following up on some posts from above, it sounds like the plan is to have a single 4K BT. 2020 HLG stream that will serve two groups of customers:

1) Folks with modern 4K TVs with HLG and 2020 support who will see the extended dynamic range that HLG brings in addition to the wide 2020 color gamut

2) Folks with first generation 4K TVs that are SDR, but still support 2020/WCG. They get the wider gamut, but and will still be able to watch the content acceptably even being totally naive to HLG. I imagine folks with modern 4K TVs that have HDR10 and DoVi, but still lack HLG for some reason (like my older LG B6) would fall into this category as well.

This leaves everyone else, but you'll still uplink a standard HD SDR 709 feed for them?

So... the industry is going through the hassle and compromises of HLG just to help out that small group of 4K early adopters with SDR panels that support BT. 2020? Seems a little silly to me, honestly! How big is that user-base, and how much of even the P3-D65 gamut will they even see (forget about 2020)?

There must be some other reason for using HLG. Is it just the momentum around HLG in production workflows (cameras, etc)?
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote