View Single Post
Old 9th July 2019, 09:54   #3  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
is there a way of improving the quality while tranfering to hard drive.
simple preferred as I do not have time to spend over each individual dvd
Unless the mastering engineer did a lousy job, there is usually no way to "improve" a DVD.
But there is only one way NOT TO deteriorate it: a bit-perfect transfer.

As for automatic (=simple) "improvers", well, if it were so simple, we all would have been medieval art restorers, wouldn't we?

A straight movie-only ripping (transfer) is usually regarded as an "improved" process over the 1-click suites that claim to "save" your precious memories via various conversions (eg to MP4, as this is the fashion format nowadays).
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
on a 4k qled tv it does look a bit rough
get a Sony Trinitron, then: it matches the DVDs' resolution.

PS: I don't have a 4k qled TV, because I don't believe in Samsung as a TV-maker. However, on the many 4k and FHD premium TVs from Sony and Pioneer I have, no DVD ever looked "rough", maybe because premium TVs also have premium upscalers: easily to spot the differences towards the cheap upscalers found in budget DVD-players.

PS2: sometimes a Bluray version of the same movie may be a better and cheaper alternative to "conversion'n'improving" processing of DVDs. Also a BD has more image points to work upon, thus even a bad upscaler (to 4k) could do a good job.