Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 21st June 2016, 18:12   #1768  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim View Post
Last night I was going through all the outstanding commits and pull requests. Basically two big groups, one for catching up to Avs 2.6, the other from pinterf (which has most if not all other PRs against Avs+ already integrated). pinterf's changes are mostly alright, I still need to inspect in detail the changes regarding the FrameRegistry, but I'm gonna pull it anyway simply because it works. There were maybe 2 other small commits that I'd like to offer feedback on, but nothing major. We can discuss if necessary after pulling.

I am much more concerned about some changes relating to Avs 2.6. One is that back in 2015 IanB changed the x64 binary interface in an incompatible way, ignorant of the fact that there is already a significant x64 plugin ecosystem, and he just broke it. This leaves Avs+ the following options: 1) Pull IanB's corresponding changes and recompile all x64 plugins. Or, 2) diverge from Avs2.6 when it comes to x64 plugins. IMHO it is a tough call. On one hand I'd very much prefer to stay in sync and compatible to Avs 2.6 in all aspects. On the other hand I'd prefer not to have to follow Avs2.6 and its inexplicable decisions any further, but this comes at the great price of splitting the community. The community needs to be united if anything, not further segmented. And actually there is a 3rd alternative, 3) if we'd need to break many plugins anyway just by following Avs 2.6, we could break with the old interface completely. On one hand this brings the disadvantages from both worlds (breaking plugins AND splitting the community), but would allow us break free of the very limiting old interfaces, to sanitize and upgrade them in a future-proof way. Of course this presumes the support of plugin writers for Avs+ even more than if we took option 2).

But summing it up, meh... I don't like any of these options. Not to mention I see this as a very important and key decision. I don't mean to over-dramatize, but given the already fragile state of Avs, one wrong step here could mean the end of Avisynth as a whole. Maybe we could just ask IanB to roll back the corresponding changes? Arrrrgh... I have no idea what we should do.
This is a problem of your own making. You introduced a sorta working 64-bit Avisynth version without making the plugin API properly 64-bit. There were a few x64 plugins before Avs+ but nothing really useful and nobody used 64-bit Avisynth anyway because it was really broken. IanB did the right thing when he fixed those pointer sizes and you should have done it too - it would've been less painful to you early on.

What you should have done back then (and you can still do it) was to create a new plugin API and emulate the old one (like Vapoursynth does). I believe this was pointed out to you at length, back then.

I also think you overestimate the effort required to recompile "all" plugins. I would estimate the number of commonly used and actually conceivably useful (with a very wide definition of "useful") Avisynth plugins today, in 2016, to be less than two dozen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryX View Post
- ffdshow support
Stop repeating this as if it means anything. ffdshow has been dead software for half a decade or more. People need to drop support for it, not add support.