View Single Post
Old 10th March 2014, 10:46   #42  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpower2 View Post
Well, I guess that's just a matter of opinion. I wanted to have all the options visible and accessible at one place, so that the user doesn't need to search for hidden options or menus.
I guess that may seem odd for more advanced users, but I believe from personal experience, that less experienced users prefer those kind of GUIs.
IMO, there's a "best of both worlds" compromise there.
You could, if you desired, have no option in the GUI itself to set the location of MKVToolNix, but the first time the Extract button is selected, a popup window could allow the user to show gMKVExtractGUI where to find it.
In a more subtle location there could be an option to set the location of MKVToolNix for more advanced users to play with, allowing them to switch MKVToolnix versions if need be, although personally I think most advanced users could simply edit the ini file to change the location of MKVToolNix after it's been automatically set the first time. Assuming of course, that's where gMKVExtractGUI stores the location.

A little "not quite a bug". If the MKVToolNix location area is set to somewhere other than the location of the MKVTooNix folder, when you try to open an MKV an error message regarding not being able to find the specified file pops up.

If the current system for selecting the MKVToolNix location can't be changed, could the default behaviour of the Browse button be changed so selecting it has no effect until you actually browse to a new location? Those Browse buttons all look alike and I've hit the bottom Browse button accidentally a couple of times and then had to browse to the MKVToolNix location all over again. It'd be nice just to be able to think "oops" and close the browse window without anything having changed.

Speaking of which. The lowest area for entering a location in a GUI must be the output location. That's not my idea. That's the law.
I think it's also why I've accidentally clicked on the wrong Browse button a couple of times.

An Abort button would be very handy. I'm an idiot. I sometimes start extracting the wrong stream before I realise I'm extracting the wrong stream.

I've added this one to my MKVCleaver wish list and with any luck the next version will incorporate it, but when extracting audio streams, if the audio stream has a delay relative to the video, could said delay be written to the file name? Like DGIndex does. Well exactly as DGIndex does. If the file name ends with the word "delay" followed by a delay value, MKVMergeGUI will automatically apply it when muxing, as will MeGUI's muxers. Currently the only way to ensure extracted audio is remuxed using the correct delay is to manually check for one using MediaInfo.
The latest version of MeGUI now writes any delay values to the file name of extracted audio streams in an MKVMergeGUI friendly manner. Zathor is quite an obliging fellow.

Speaking of which, MeGUI writes the language of extracted tracks to the file name in a way it's muxers understand in order to automatically apply the particular language. When I'm given a jewelled hat and declared ruler of the world, which does seem to be taking longer than I'd initially expected, all extraction and muxing programs would have to follow the same rules for writing languages to extracted files and automatically applying them when muxing. Mosu isn't at all interested in that, for reasons I don't understand, but if MKVCleaver, gMKVExtractGUI, and MeGUI all used the same convention.... I guess I'm dreaming....

Is there a good reason for extracting chapters with an OGM extension rather than TXT? MKVMergeGUI is happy with either and Notepad already opens text files.
And could gMKVExtractGUI remember the setting for the type of chapters to extract? As I said, I'm an idiot, so to extract ogm chapters I have to do it without remembering to change the setting, then again after changing it.

Thanks for a nice little program!

Last edited by hello_hello; 20th September 2014 at 20:54. Reason: spelling
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote