View Single Post
Old 24th May 2018, 21:00   #3098  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC View Post
In these cases, what about applying the IVTC option (Edit Title > AviSynth > Enhance) to remove the pulldown flags? The output would be a true 23.976 progressive clip, to which we can apply soft pulldown (23.976->25) or 4% speedup. Currently IVTC option is greyed out for everything but 29.97 interlaced, but you can easily tweak the frame rate and scan type clip properties within A2D. And if it works, I can activate IVTC by default for this scenario (input NTSC 23.976 progressive clips with 2:3 pulldown flags, output PAL).
Sorry I forgot to report my test results for this case in my last post...

Yes, IMO for such sources IVTC should be activated by default - or at least a popup window should appear informing the user of using IVTC or Deinterlace.
I did this, and the video is treated as it should. But OGG chapter import is still broken for this scenario.

My suggestion for how AVStoDVD should treat such sources (NTSC progressive 23.976 with standard 3:2 pulldown flags):

1. Always evaluate the MediaInfo report for Pulldown. If Pulldown is reported then set the fps to 29.97 (ignore the 23.976 MediaInfo report). Also set the title properties to Interlaced.

2. Suggest that IVTC or Deinterlace should be used. If the user decides that he does not want to use any of these then at least A2D will treat the source as "interlaced" to avoid major damage.

This will only work for sources with standard (23.976 -> 29.97) pulldown flags. Irregular pulldown flags are not recognized neither by MediaInfo nor by AVSMeter, so A2D has no way to treat sources with irregular pulldown automatically.

One small inconsisteny I noticed:
If IVTC is checked then A2D of course modifies the AVS script, it also (correctly) removes the "Interlaced Encoding" checkmark from the Video tab. But if "Deinterlace" is activated instead, only the AVS script is edited. Under the Video tab the setting for "Interlaced Encoding" stays active (which is wrong IMO). After applying deinterlacing the encoder should use progressive settings and the output should not be flagged as interlaced.

Now back to the original topic of importing OGG chapter files:

After a lot of additional tests I see the current situation as follows:

1. OGG chapter import ALWAYS works when hard frame rate conversion gets used.

2. PAL to NTSC does work correctly. Using 25 -> 29.97 pulldown works equally well as using NTSC slowdown first and then applying 23.976 -> 29.97 pulldown.

3. NTSC to PAL conversion does NEVER work except when hard frame rate conversion is forced (For progressive sources A2D only offers DGPulldown or PAL speedup by default). I tested IVTCed sources using PAL speedup as well as 23.976 -> 25 pulldown, the chapters were way off in both cases. Finally I used a progressive 23.976 source without soft pulldown, and the results for OGG chapter import were identical to the IVTCed source.

So for NTSC to PAL conversions the OGG chapter import still needs some work...

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 24th May 2018 at 21:06.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote