View Single Post
Old 9th December 2018, 05:32   #1  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Time to buy a new 4K HDR TV (PQ/HLG/DolbyVision)

Hi,
it's actually time for me to get rid of my old FULL HD Samsung LED that I bought many years ago and buy a brand new UHD TV.
The reason why I waited so long is that there was a bit of uncertainty around 4K TVs when they first came around: some were SDR only, some didn't support PQ, some other did support PQ but didn't support HLG and some others supported both but not Dolby Vision.
Ideally, I'd like a 50'' that supports PQ, HLG and Dolby Vision and that has a decent amount of nits.
In the studio I work for, we master everything to 1'000 nits, 'cause it's pretty much the standard nowadays, but I noticed that there are some other studios that do the mastering at 5'000 nits (if I recall correctly, Blade Runner has 5'000 nits, for instance).
In other words, I'd like to have something that has at least 1'000 nits.
I don't like the pictures produced by standard edge lit LCD screens, Plasma is pretty much dead nowadays and I've been watching contents through a LED TV with a full array backlight for years, that's why I wanted to go for an OLED at first, however it seems that OLED panels emit a certain amount of power themselves, which is why manufacturers can't go very high with nits (the best OLED I've found had around 800 nits) compared to LCDs.

What's your suggestion? (No curved, no 3D pls).
My budget is 1500€-2000€.

Last edited by FranceBB; 9th December 2018 at 06:59.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote